The Gorgas Memorial Library (GML) serves the WRAIR and NMRC, supporting innovation to improve the lives of Service Members at home and abroad. We provide timely, seamless access to relevant resources, regardless of the original format or location. GML resources and services are available to scientists and staff located in Silver Spring and in the associated overseas labs.
Hours: Monday through Friday 07:30 to 16:30. Patrons with a keycard may access the library at any time.
Address: 503 Robert Grant Ave, Silver Spring, Maryland, 20910
Visitor Information: Non-WRAIR or -NMRC personnel must receive permission prior to visiting the library.
The library forms below can be used to request library services and resources. Email completed forms to email@example.com.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Book Request Form – Request books not available in the library collection over interlibrary loan.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Article Request Form – Request journal articles not available in the library collection over interlibrary loan.
- Literature Search Form - Expert searches are provided upon request to meet individual needs/requirements to include Animal Use Protocols. Librarians perform ProQuest Dialog, DTIC, PubMed, FEDRIP, Agricola, and other database searches upon request.
- Patron Registration Form – After a WRAIR/NMRC researcher fills out and submits this form, they can check out resources from the library print collection.
The following guides were created to help WRAIR/NMRC researchers navigate and use library resources and services.
- GML Brochure
- Database and Endnote Training Resources
- Finding Online Journal Articles for WRAIR and NMRC Users
- Find publications by WRAIR researchers on PubMed. Please contact us for more detailed lists of WRAIR publications from 1982-2017.
See information below to learn how to gain full access to the resources available via MRDC LEAP (US Army Medical Research and Development Command Library Electronic Access Portal) when working remotely. NMRC staff will need to sign into accounts to access MRDC resources, including Web of Science/Journal Citation Reports/Essential Science Indicators and Scopus.
MRDC Account Links
- Contact us to be provided with an account to access MRDC resources
- MRDC LEAP E-Portal - Access to the most current issues of journals through MRDC may be temporarily unavailable.
- Users who already have an EZproxy account can access MRDC LEAP electronic resources through this login page.
Use the following portals to search for electronic and print materials available through GML:
- GML E-Resources - Find online journals and e-books.
- GML OneSearch - Find books and journals at GML. At this time the discovery platform is limited.
Learn how to access and request services available through GML:
- EndNote - Citation management software for saving and citing references. Sign up for an EndNote Online account, and call the DHA Global Service Center desk (1-800-600-9332) to have EndNote Desktop installed on your computer. Contact us to confirm which version of EndNote to install on your computer.
- Bibliometrics - The library offers bibliometrics services. These products, including Research Impact Analyses, Publication Strategies, and Publication Lists, can be customized per division. Click for an example analysis performed for RTS,S and malaria vaccine research. Contact us to request bibliometric services.
- Reference Consultations - If you want a librarian to visit your workstation to discuss information and training needs, please contact us to schedule a consultation. Hours for consultations: 14:30-16:30, Mon-Fri.
- Interlibrary Loan - Fill out a book request form/article request form, or send an email to the interlibrary loan email address with the full citation of the book or article (including PubMed ID for articles, if available) and your contact information, and we will obtain the article/book for you from another library.
- AMEDD Virtual Library - Army Medicine's gateway to online medical, dental and veterinary information resources, requires AKO.
- Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC) - The largest central resource for DoD and government-funded research. Online registration required with a CAC card.
- e-Books - e-Books are accessible by selecting "Find e-Book" when searching GML E-Resources; e-Books are also searchable using GML OneSearch. Access to e-Book content includes current ScienceDirect e-Books in topics of interest, the Army Medicine e-textbook collection, and online e-Books from National Academies Press, Safari IT books online, and others. Note: for ScienceDirect e-Book titles, select WRAIR as the user organization.
- Essentials Science Indicators - Find top papers and highly cited papers by research field.
- Journal Citation Reports - Tool to identify journals with top citation impact scores.
- Knovel - An engineering decision-support resource with best practice insights, validated equations, and materials and substances data. Search across e-books, graphs, tables, and definitions, and use equation and unit converter tools.
- PubMed - NLM's database of journal article citations.
- SciFinder - Chemistry structure and patent database for the Experimental Therapeutics Branch. To obtain a username see Library staff.
- SciFinder-n - Chemistry structure and patent database (new updated portal). Users with SciFinder logins can use their existing login/password to log in to resource. To obtain a username see Library staff (resource for Experimental Therapeutics staff).
- Scopus - Search and analyze publications, find highly cited publications, and view author and institution profiles. (choose WRAIR as organization)
- Web of Science - Science and social science citation index; includes conference proceedings and links to full text.
Research Data Management Tools
WRAIR/NMRC researchers need to address requirements for data sharing and curation, and GML staff is poised to help in a consultative manner by sharing knowledge of metadata and taxonomies.
As a first step, here is a list of resources to help researchers learn more about data management and curation:
- Association of Research Libraries – Resources for Data Management Planning ‐ Find links to research library websites on data management planning, resources for developing data management plans, data curation and archiving resources, and links to data repositories.
- DMPTool Public Templates ‐ DMPTool is a service of the University of California Curation Center of the California Digital Library, and the site offers a list of DMP templates organized by funder requirements. Many of the templates also provide links to the funder policies and versions of sample plans.
- NNLM RD3: Resources for Data-Driven Discovery - Learn about resources for managing, storing, and sharing data, and find training resources and subject primers related to research data.
Housed in the Gorgas Memorial Library, the archives at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research include unique, historical material related to the history of the institute, including the critical early research of overseas laboratories, photographs, and working papers of selected key military and civilian researchers and scientists who have made noteworthy contributions to WRAIR efforts.
A list of Archival Finding Aids is available below:
- Record of the Armed Forces Epidemiological Board, 1941-1992
- Records of the Army Medical Research Program on Malaria 1963-1979
- Records of the Migratory Animal Pathological Survey, 1963-1973
- George W. Hunter III Papers
- Joseph E. Smadel Papers
- Records of the Council of Federal Nursing Services, 1943-1983
- Records of the SEATO Medical Research Laboratory, Thailand, 1955-2013
- Records of the United States Army Medical Research Team (WRAIR) Vietnam, 1963-1983
- Records of the United States Army Medical Research Unit, Belem, 1971-1979
- Records of the United States Army Medical Research Unit, Brasilia, 1971-1999
- Records of the United States Army Medical Research Unit, Europe, 1945-2015
- Records of the United States Army Medical Research Unit, Kenya, 1969-1999
- Records of the United States Army Medical Research Unit, Malaysia, 1952-1989
- Records of the United States Army Medical Research Unit, Panama, 1959-1976
- Records of the United States Army Surgical Research Team (WRAIR), Japan, 1968-1969
- Records of the United States Army Tropical Research Medical Laboratory, Puerto Rico, 1950-1966
- Records of the United States Medical Research and Development Project, Uganda 1959-1969
- Theodore E. Woodward Papers, 1943-1995